Tuesday 4 June 2019

THE SPACE THAT REMAINS - my blog reborn

Or so I hope. I have been trying to find a good angle for renewing my old and mostly neglected blog and decided that I would make it more specifically and overtly surrealist. Anybody who knows me and anybody who has followed my posts on Facebook, among other places, will know I have been involved in surrealism for many years. My blog was a sort of bridge between my various interests, but some of the difficulties I had been through led me to stop writing much for a long time. I now feel a stronger itch towards both creative and polemical writing and I think that surrealism offers, not answers or solutions, but certainly perspectives upon the world that are of value to more than myself and few others.
The new title of the blog "The Space That Remains" is adapted from the title of a book by Giorgio Agamben "The Time That Remains" and is intended to reflect how space is dominated by - power, the spectacle, capitalism - and people are too often marginalised. But surrealists have embraced a marginal status, later I may remember who called the surrealists 'vagabonds of the margins' and the surrealist movement has become increasingly marginalised even as more of its image is recuperated. I hope to have more to say about this soon, but I want to write a great deal about both time and space alongside questions of poetry and revolution and, well, quite a few other things that occupy my mind most passionally.
Stuart Inman

No comments:

Post a Comment